Speech Recognition/Dictation Instructions
For Windows XP and newer
- Open Speech Recognition by clicking the Start button > All Programs.
- Select Accessories > Ease of Access > Windows Speech Recognition.
- You can then choose to activate Speech Recognition with your mouse (manual activation) or with a voice command of Start Listening (voice activation mode).
- Select the text box you want to dictate text into; or a box may appear in the upper part of your screen.
- Click the Microphone button to start the listening mode.
- Say the text that you want dictate.
Choose Apple menu ()(top left) > System Preferences, click Keyboard, then click Dictation. Turn on Dictation and choose from these Dictation options:
- Choose whether to use Enhanced Dictation, which lets you use dictation when you're not connected to the Internet.
- Choose your language and dialect. Some languages, such as English, have multiple dialects.
- Choose the keyboard shortcut you will use to start start dictating.
- Choose your preferred microphone from the pop-up menu below the microphone icon.
- Go to a text input field and click your shortcut key to bring up Dictation.
- When the little microphone popup appears, start talking.
- When finished, click the “Done” button
iPad or iPhone
If you are using an iPad or iPhone device, you can download the Dragon Dictation App free from iTunes. This app will allow you to use a dictation feature so that you can practice pronunciation and speech fluency with these devices.